History of OLMCS

Our Lady of Miracles Catholic School first opened in 1952. The school was forced to close in 1968, but reopened in 1979 due to the efforts of a dedicated Parish community.

  • 1949 Monsignor John B. Forde began a campaign for a parochial school and convent
  • 1951 Ground breaking for the school and convent with land donated by Mr. and Mrs. A.P. Medeiros Parish community raises $95,000 for construction
  • 1952 OLM School opens its doors for the first time with 140 students in six grades, staffed by four Sisters from the Order of Servants of Immaculate Heart of Mary, Michigan
  • 1953 On January 18th, OLM School dedicated and blessed with 800 supporters in attendance
  • 1955 OLM graduates first class of 18 students. The largest graduating class consisted of 45 students in 1962
  • 1964 Largest enrollment in grades K-8 with 280 students in 1964-65 school year
  • 1968 OLM School closes its doors
  • 1979 OLM School reopens under the direction of Father John Harguindeguy with 30 students enrolled in preschool through first grade
  • 1980 School consisted of 99 students from preschool to 6th grade staffed by 7 lay teachers and 3 sisters from the Order of Servants of Immaculate Heart of Mary, Michigan
  • 1981 Rededication and Blessing of OLM School takes place on January 18
  • 1981 148 students enrolled in preschool through 7th grade
  • 1982 Enrollment increases to 176 students, preschool through 8th grade
  • 1983 OLM School graduates first 8th grade class of 20 students since the school’s reopening
  • 1983 - 2015 OLM School provides Catholic education to over 593 graduating students
  • 2015 Diocesan decision made to close OLM School on July 21
  • 2015 Community unites for 9 days of prayer, led by current Pastor Father Leonard Trindade, to keep the doors of OLM School open
  • 2015 Diocese rescinds decision and allows the school to remain open under the leadership of Chandra Brace and Melissa Meneses on July 28; School begins “Year of Renewal”